Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Merry Christmas! Wait!!! Aren't we celebrating that other holiday, what's it called again? Oh yeah, Thanksgiving! I meant to write Happy Thanksgiving!


I love this time of year as my family knows, but I'm growing more and more annoyed that Thanksgiving is literally put on the back burner in favor of Christmas. I can't believe people have their Christmas trees and lights up already, and they've been up since last week or even before.

I realize Christmas is a true commercial holiday, and even though I don't like it, I've finally accepted that stores will decorate for the holidays and sell Christmas decor and gifts starting in October for business reasons, but it's still hard for me to accept people in my neighborhood and others already decorating for Christmas. Can't we just enjoy Thanksgiving?

I'm partially guilty in my own right, although I don't think my actions are quite as guilty as others. Satellite radio has already added a holiday songs channel called "Holly" that I've started listening to, which has greatly annoyed my wonderful husband since I enjoy listening to it a lot...well possibly all the time. Christmas music puts me in a great mood, but today as I prepared for Thanksgiving and listened to the music, it felt more like Christmas Eve and not Thanksgiving Eve.

I asked my students on a quiz I gave yesterday about when and where the first Thanksgiving was celebrated. Most of them didn't know the answer, which is sad since it seems the reasons why we celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas have both been forgotten.

I'm thankful for many things, and I'm still very thankful that we have Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm not going shopping Friday. I'll be taking down my Thanksgiving decorations and putting up the Christmas tree and lights.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Dr. DeVito said...

One small correction ... I will likely be taking down/putting up decorations. Allyson will be supervising.