Saturday, December 25, 2010

Finally Updated: Twelve Days of Christmas Top TV Specials

I apologize for not posting a daily update with a different Christmas TV special, but the holidays happened, and I got a little busy. So, I'm listing the remaining top ones on my personal list here. I already mentioned The Brady Bunch, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Next on the list is a favorite of so many generations—Charlie Brown Christmas. It first aired in 1965.



I have seen this one many times, and I have it on VHS and DVD, but there is still something magical about watching it live each year when it airs on ABC. It used to only air once per season, but now ABC airs it twice during the holidays.

Switching to Christmas movies, I have a couple of favorites. I still enjoy watching the original Home Alone made in 1990.



I can't believe it's 20 years old this year. I remember seeing it in the theater with my mom and brother after Christmas and on the Sunday before school started again Monday.

Another favorite movie that I love watching every year on TV is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation made in 1989.



I have many favorite scenes in the movie, but my favorite is the singing of the National Anthem near the end.



A new favorite from this year is Glee's Christmas episode on TV. Only in its second season, this show has soared in the ratings.



I am a huge fan of The Golden Girls, and I've probably seen every episode multiple times. There were a couple of Christmas shows, and I like "Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas," in which Rose is working at a counseling center, and a man dressed as Santa Claus comes in on Christmas Eve and holds Rose, Blanche and Dorothy hostage since he wants to spend Christmas with others and not alone. The girls are trying to make it the airport in time for their flights to visit family members, and in classic Sophia fashion, she walks into the counseling center after waiting in the car for a while and takes the gun out of the man's hands since it was a toy gun.

Thinking the day is saved, the women rush to the airport just in time to make their flights, but due to a storm, all the flights out of Miami are canceled, so they end up at a diner, eating their favorite dessert, cheesecake. To make it a great Christmas episode, it starts snowing in Miami during the last scene of the episode.



I've also seen every episode of the original Beverly Hills 90210, and in this Christmas episode, Brenda brings home a Santa Claus who she thinks is homeless to spend Christmas Eve with the gang.



Thanks for reading until the end. My all-time favorite Christmas TV special/movie is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever based on a book. It's a great story of the unruly Herdman children who show up to a church service in early December because they think there are free snacks, and end up taking over most of the parts in the annual Christmas pageant. The TV special was made in 1986, and I have a copy on VHS that I watch every Christmas. It's still the best!



Hope you enjoyed reading this list and watching all of these Christmas specials and others on television. Merry Christmas!

No comments: