Saturday, January 10, 2009

Go Gators!

It was great to see the Florida Gators win a third national football championship Thursday night! We've been in Knoxville for the past two, but David and I were both UF students when the Gators won the title in 1996. I know not everyone agreed they should be the national champs since Utah is undefeated, and Florida lost to Ole Miss at home earlier in the season.

I agree we should have a playoff, and president-elect Barack Obama feels the same. In an interview with "60 minutes," he said, "If you've got a bunch of teams who play throughout the season, and many of them have one loss or two losses, there's no clear decisive winner. We should be creating a playoff system."

When UF clinched the title, Obama again said he supports a playoff system. While he congratulated the Gators, he said, "If I'm Utah, or if I'm USC or if I'm Texas, I might still have some quibbles. That's why we need a playoff."

He and others who feel the same way make a good point, but for now, it's nice to be on top again. Go Gators!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may be a little biased here but I think he should have just left it at Go Gators! There is a time and a place for everything and congratulating the new national champions is not the forum to talk about the need for a playoff. It questions the legitimacy of their title!!!

Jay Navarrete