Sunday, January 18, 2009

Last Weekend of Studying

I'm in the middle of taking my comprehensive exams that are testing me on all that I've learned during my Ph.D. studies. I've received tons of much appreciated advice about how to study and what to study. I've actually enjoyed studying...to some extent because I've had the chance to read a lot and start fitting the pieces of all that I've learned together in some type of understandable puzzle. One of my professors told me this is the smartest I'll ever be in my life.

Another professor and friend from my days at UF said to me on Friday, "Allyson, this is the last weekend you will ever have to study, ever!" I thought about it, and realized she's right. While I do have the daunting task of writing a dissertation, writing additional research articles, preparing to teach classes, and attending conferences, I'm finished taking classes, and this is the last time I'll actually be studying to take an exam. (Unless of course I decide to get another degree :))

This thought makes me nostalgic since I've always enjoyed studying and learning new concepts and ideas. I think back to all the exams I've studied for during my life, and I wonder how many tests I've actually taken. But these exams are the most important to some extent, and I'll be glad when I am finished on Friday. I appreciate all the well wishes and positive thoughts sent my way.

I take my next exam Tuesday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. so I'll miss the live presidential inauguration, but we have a DVR, so I'll record it and watch later that afternoon. It's hard to believe that while I'm sitting in conference room and typing on a computer for four hours that our next president will be sworn in to office. Of all the presidential inaugurations I've been alive for, this is the most historic one. I'm sorry I can't watch it live, but as Barack Obama endures one of his first tests as president of the United States, I'll be taking one of my final ones...on paper that is.

4 comments:

Dr. DeVito said...

Honey, I know you will do great!

Good luck!

And I think that I will be happier that your exams are done than you will.

:)

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you today!

From the Bumpy Road said...

I hope the exams are going well - I know you're doing great! :)

Lourdes and Jamie said...

Good luck, Allyson. The way you make studying sound... well, it makes me want to study. Thanks for the inspiration!