Monday, August 31, 2009

Final Thought for August (130+ Animal Adoptions and an Earthquake)

I wanted to post one more entry during the month of August, and I didn't know what to write about earlier today. I have some ideas, but they will take longer to write, and I've been grading all day, so I didn't want to write a ton.

I just checked some local news sites and found a great "good news" story, especially for an animal lover like me! The Young-Williams Animal Center, where we volunteer, received a $10,000 donation, which means more than 130 animals can be adopted without adoption fees in Knox County. Once those animals are find good and caring homes, the anonymous donor will give another $10,000 for the same cause.

Read more about it at http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=97501&provider=rss. This donation probably couldn't come at a better time since the shelter has had more than 500 animals, but is designed for around 400. God bless that donor!

In other area news, we experienced a 3.3 magnitude earthquake earlier today. Well, I didn't personally experience it, but it shook neighboring Blount and Loudon counties around 10 a.m. this morning. The epicenter of the quake was six miles from Lousiville (pronounced Louis-ville and not Louie-ville), which is fairly close to Alcoa and Maryville.

In other weather news, we didn't make it out of the 70s today, and we're having lows in the 50s tonight. If you live in Florida, I hope you are very jealous!

Bring on September!

No comments: