Sunday, November 01, 2009

A Happy Halloween



Halloween is David's favorite holiday, and we have a tradition of decorating the weekend of the Florida/Tennessee football game in September, so our decorations have been up a while. Our "kids" are above...Pumkin, Telly and Willow. Don't you love Telly's lab glasses, courtesy of David.



The scary skeleton hangs on our front door, and when the wind blows, he knocks rather loudly.



A jack-o-lantern gourd one of my aunts made.


 
 
Our scarecrow couple out front with their hay bale, pumpkin and mum—an East Tennessee fall must-have decoration. 

We had a happy Halloween with more than 50 trick or treaters visiting us. The little kids were cute and still say "trick or treat," but some of the older ones just ring the bell and don't say anything, including a thank you. Some of their "costumes" are a bit different than the ones I remember wearing. As my dad would say, "Put some clothes on!"

It rained off an on all day, and I think the mist combined with the UT game last night kept some kids away, but it was still fun handing out candy. There were some families who drove their kids up and down the hill, but none like the first year we were here. It was past 9:30 p.m. on a weeknight, and our light was still on, but we hadn't had any kids visit us for at least an hour. The door bell rang, and when I opened the door, I saw about five kids with various costumes and pillow cases for treat bags. I loaded them up on candy since I knew this was probably the last group of the night. I realized a man was standing behind them, and I assumed it was their dad. He was dressed in a jail bird costume. I finished giving the kids candy, and was about to close the door, when he stepped up and demanded his candy. He smelled of alcohol and had only a few front teeth. I just put some candy in his bag and then noticed the mother of the children driving a beat up mini-van and smoking. It was a stereotypical Hillbilly Halloween to say the least.

We bought a jester hat for Cash, and he kept it on for about 5 minutes before figuring a way to get it off his head.



We ate lunch on Halloween at Vernon's Grill again, and it was another wonderful meal. They had some decorations, and I had to take a photo of this one with the Burger King being grilled. 


Hope you had a safe and Happy Halloween! Let's get out those Thanksgiving, I mean Christmas decorations now! :)

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Cash looks so cute!

Dr. DeVito said...

Halloween was a lot of fun.

More kids than I expected too.