Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A new trip down memory lane with 90210 and New Kids on the Block

Even though the Republican National Convention is on television tonight, and I should be watching it since I teach media courses, I'm sitting here in anticipation of the new "90210" set to premier with a two-hour episode tonight on CW. I'm excited, but I have a feeling I won't like it as much as the original. I grew up watching "Beverly Hills 90210" and Brandon, Brenda, Kelly, Donna, Dylan, Steve, Andrea and David mature through West Beverly High School, California University and somewhat real lives. I still watch reruns that I've seen a million times on the SOAP network. (In fact, SOAP had a Labor Day marathon of the best episodes, and I admit to watching a few.)

I was happy to hear that Jeanne Garth and Shannen Doherty have reprised their roles as Kelly and Brenda, but I had hoped more old faces would return. I am glad that Joe E. Tata has also returned. He plays "Nat," the owner of the Peach Pit. I realize the new show will be different, but I'm willing to watch the first few episodes, however, I am prepared that I might still enjoy watching the reruns more than the new version. I'll keep you posted.



Speaking of nostalgia moments, I was and still am a huge New Kids on the Block fan, and they've reunited this summer and are starting a fall tour. The closest location to Knoxville is Atlanta, so I don't know if I'll get to the concert or not. I actually had tickets to their show when I was in high school and lived in Florida. I won them from a local radio station, but they performed more than two hours away in Tallahassee on a Saturday night, and my parents wouldn't let me go since I was being baptized on Sunday morning. I love my parents, but I've never completely forgiven them for not letting me go. My favorite "new kid" was Jon Knight (second from the left in the photo above; he's the sensitive shy type). Their new album came out today, and I plan to purchase it.

There's nothing like hanging onto my youth even though it was hard living through it and making sense of the world and my place in it. At least I'll always have 90210 and the New Kids.

3 comments:

Dr. DeVito said...

New Kids did a lot for making the world a safe place for young gay men.

I also hope that Brenda is still hot even though she's got to be 45 or something.

Anonymous said...

Did you have New Kids posters in your room? My walls were covered!

Some friends and I went to a NKOTB concert the summer after 8th grade. Our seats were horrible, but I remember KNOWING that Joe had looked right at ME. For sure. Certainly he remembers it to this day as well. :)

Anonymous said...

The two cutest ones back in the day--Jordan and Joey--are the only ones that have aged well. LOL. I saw them back in concert when I was 12.