Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Flame Goes Out


On Wednesday, Knoxville and surrounding areas saw a fast moving thunderstorm roll through during the afternoon. The storm was moving more than 50 miles per hour, so it swept through quickly, but the winds were strong, causing some damage and power outages.

One of my students, Samantha Sutton, is a photographer and captured some great images before, during and after the storm. They are published in a slide show story at http://tnjn.com/2009/feb/11/ut-campus-after-the-storm/

One of my favorites is the torchbearer with his flame extinguished, which is a very rare site on UT's campus. I've heard that an opposing football team was able to make the flame go out once. I'm assuming this time the winds were so strong that the torchbearer's flame couldn't withstand them. Great job Samantha!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I've heard that an opposing football team was able to make the flame go out once."

I think that was the vacuum coming from the team in Orange in Neyland stadium :-)

AllyDeVito said...

Good one Brad! My students have told me that if a virgin graduates from UT, the flame will go out, but since it hardly ever goes out, go figure!