Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Did you get the joke?

I realize I'm late in posting a follow-up to my former post about the left-handed whopper at Burger King. I think most of you realized it was an April Fool's joke...a joke, however, from 1998. Burger King actually sent a press release to media outlets around the country and took out a full page ad in USA Today, announcing the new left-handed whopper.

I was working at WUFT-FM in Gainesville as the local host for the "Morning Edition" show. I checked the fax machine around 4 a.m. and saw this press release. I admit I was intrigued by the headline and lead sentence claiming Burger King had introduced a left-handed Whopper since I am left-handed. For a minute, I believed it, but then I realized it was April 1, and it had to be a joke.

Many people fell for the joke, and even went to Burger Kings around the country and asked for the left-handed whopper. Some who had seen the announcement ordered a "right-handed" or "normal" whopper.

I decided to reuse the press release 12 years later and see if an old joke can create new laughs. I recreated the press release and had both sections of my classes turn it into a news story. About halfway through each class, someone finally asked, "Is this real?" After some discussion, I told them about the original press release. I also mentioned how in 1996, Taco Bell announced it had purchased the Liberty Bell in Pennsylvania and had plans to remain it the Taco Liberty Bell.

About half an hour after one of my classes, I received an e-mail from one of my students who wrote, "Okay, I had to admit and thought you would find humor in this, but I just stopped by BK and bought a Whopper," and he's not even left-handed! :)

No comments: