Monday, April 26, 2010

Salad time


During the spring and summer months, I enjoy making salads even more than usual. One of my favorite salads is a layered salad that my mom also makes. Not only is it pretty to look at, but delicious to eat.

I sent the recipe to David's cousin who has been working on a family cook book. I had forgotten what recipe I sent to her last year, but as soon as I saw it in the book, I knew the layered salad would be on last week's dinner menu. Yummy!



Here's the recipe if you'd like to make it.

Layered Salad
In a clear trifle bowl layer the following ingredients starting at the bottom:
1/2 bowl of lettuce (about a whole lead of lettuce should work)
Purple cabbage (a small head will work)
1/2 cup green peppers
1/2 cup onion
Small can of peas (drained)

Combine a pint of mayo (regular or low fat) and dry original Ranch mix. Spread this mixture on top of the layer of peas.

Sprinkle on graded sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese and bacon bits.

Let sit overnight in fridge. While it's pretty to look at, you'll need to mix it before serving in order to distribute all the ingredients. This salad is best eaten within one day since the dressing can make it soggy. Enjoy!

No comments: