Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Missing the Mountains


We didn't get any snow in Knoxville over the weekend like many parts of the South did. We're in the valley, so the areas around us experience harsher winter conditions. However, when I'm driving through parts of Knoxville, I have a wonderful view of the snow-capped mountains. It's a gorgeous view and one I will miss if we move away.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, I teach until 5 p.m. By this time, rush hour hits and heavy traffic on Interstate-40 along with the glare from the sun since I'm driving west, make driving conditions not ideal on this route. Sometimes, I opt to go home another longer way because I'd rather be driving the entire time instead of sitting and inching along in stop-and-go traffic.

However, there's another reason I enjoy driving home on Alcoa Highway. I have the chance to see the beautiful Smoky mountains, and on afternoons such as yesterday, the snow-capped beauty of this wonderful area. I will definitely miss the mountains and am so thankful we've had the opportunity to live here.

No comments: