Wednesday, September 16, 2009

99 years and counting



My parents recently reunited two women who've known each other for almost all of their 99 years. Millia was born on July 8, 1910, and here is what my mother wrote about her. "We have known Millia for years. I can remember her when I was a child as well as her mother and father, Uncle Joe and Aunt Carrie. She is distantly related somehow, but I don't really understand how. She spells her name with an "a" instead of an "e," but we call her Millie. Their farm is down the road from Louise and Millie still owns part of it."

Millie now lives in Jacksonville, Florida, and this is where my parents drove Irene Hunter to last weekend for the reunion. Known as Mrs. Hunter to me, she was born barely a month after Millie on August 7, 1910. She was a great friend to my grandmother before she died, and they often attended church dinners and events together. They talked on the phone almost every day.

Somehow my mom realized these two ladies had grown up together and hadn't seen each other in more than 20 years, so she worked on getting the two together again. Both women are in good health for their age. They've slowed down a bit, but they are still enjoying life.



I can only imagine what rich conversations and memories they shared during their visit. Thanks to my dad for taking and sending these great photos to me!

No comments: