Sunday, July 26, 2009

It's Time for Your Close-up...



No, the above photo is not another new cat for us, but isn't he cute! That's Mr. Buttons, who I met last Friday. I've started volunteering at the Young-Williams Animal Center in Knoxville, a great organization that tries to find homes for hundreds of animals every day of the year.

I helped with a photography session for the animals available for adoption. My job was to serve as a "runner," or basically getting the cats, dogs, rabbits and rats (yes rats!) out of their cages for photos in the community room and then taking them back to their cages. It was fun, but a lot of hard work!

Most of the cats were scared, and they had font claws, which I'm not used to since Sammie and Cash are front declawed. They didn't scratch me, but I could tell a few of them were less than thrilled about having their photo taken. One of the other volunteers loves rats, so she handled getting them. The dogs were loving and excited but more challenging since they are larger and have tons of energy. I dealt with a boxer mix and a rottweiler mix who wanted to run around and play.

Below are some of the animals I saw Friday. They all need good homes, so please visit knoxpets.org if you are interested and willing to be a responsible pet owner. One of the reasons so many animals end up at the shelter is because their owners are irresponsible. As Bob Barker says, please have your pets spayed or neutered.

Halo the rabbit


Sam the rat


Ingle the dog


T-Rex the dog


Greta the kitten


Gabel the kitten

No comments: