Saturday, July 25, 2009

My New Little Brother



It's Sammie writing here. My parents decided that I was lonely and needed another sibling. I admit I have missed Dolly the past couple of months, and I know my parents have missed her too. Also, there are so many loving animals in the world who need homes, and I used to be one of them, so it's important to share my parents with another feline.

My mom really wanted another cat in the house, but she also wanted to wait until after my parents returned from their Florida trip a few weeks ago. She looked at various animal shelter's web sites, and then a former student (Thanks Tony!) suggested she check out craigslist.com.

Since I don't have front claws, my parents didn't really want a cat with front claws just in case we decided to have a cat fight. She found a few people who were trying to find homes for their declawed cats, so she made some phone calls. I think my mom wanted to get another tabby cat and probably a female, but sometimes you just know something is right even if it's not what you thought would happen. This is how I ended up with my new little brother.

My mom talked to a very nice woman named Amy who had a three-year-old black male cat who is declawed and neutered. She and her husband are middle school teachers, and they have a nine-year-old daughter named Allison. They've recently moved in with her mom who is not a cat person, so they are trying to find new homes for their two cats. Tigger had already been adopted last week, but Ebon was still available. They went over to their house and met him. He was shy but a very handsome cat. Amy was very happy about meeting my parents and felt Ebon would love living with us.

Well, so far, so good. He spent the first few days in the spare bedroom, and we did have a few hissing contests, but he's hissed more than me. Now, we like to sniff noses. My parents have renamed him Cash after the legendary Johnny Cash.

At first, Cash liked to hide under the spare bedroom bed, but he's a lot more active now.



He comes out a lot more and explores our house.



Cash prefers to lay around on the floor and isn't crazy about being a lap kitty, but that's fine with me since my mom's lap belongs to me and only me! He does love to rub up against my parent's legs.



Cash got a special present in the mail from Ryan, the little boy of my mom's friends from college. He picked out a blue animal toy for Cash just like his favorite "Fa" stuffed animal. Thanks Ryan! We both have enjoyed playing with all the toys you sent us, and the treats are very yummy.





Cash is a lot more active than me and quite curious. For instance, on Friday morning my mom noticed the fish net that should be next to the aquarium was on the floor, and the fish food container was nowhere in sight. My dad finally found it Friday afternoon under the spare bedroom bed, and Cash had managed to open it, so there was fish food everywhere under the bed!

He also likes to "sing" like Johnny Cash, especially during the night. Last night he also knocked over my glass of water on my dad's night stand. He loves to sit in the window and watch the birds. He also makes the clicking noise to attract the birds just like Dolly did. I'm making that noise now too, but I'm not as loud as Cash and Dolly.




We're glad Cash has joined our family. I think Dolly would approve of him, but she's probably glad she doesn't have to live with him and can just watch over us.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

Cash looks right at home in the window there! Thanks for sharing those pics, Sammie :)

Buffy said...

awwww....Cash looks just like my little Zak. And once you go black (cats, that is) you never go back! We love our now 9-year-old black kitties we adopted as kittens.

AllyDeVito said...

Yes, we love him, and he has fit right in. He does some things like Dolly and other like Sammie. He is vocal like Dolly but opens doors like Sammie. It's fun watching their different personalities come to life.

Emily Esparza said...

I am so happy for everyone. A real "win, win" situation. Cash looks a perfect fit. Have fun!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new addition to the family. Ursa and Purrl think Cash is just striking!

Buffy said...

It looks like you've already discovered the trick to taking good photos of black kitties--get them while they're sitting in the sunshine!

Lourdes and Jamie said...

What a sweet boy! What do you do on Friday the 13ths now? I always wondered that... Congrats!

Lourdes and Jamie said...

What a sweet boy! What do you do on Friday the 13ths now? I always wondered that... Congrats!

AllyDeVito said...

I guess we'll find out November 13, the next Friday the 13th for this year! He does have a small touch of white on his front and underside! :)