Friday, July 31, 2009

Hitchhiking Cats

I know my recent posts have been about animals, especially cats, but rescuing animals and helping them find new homes is important to our family. So when I learned about an opportunity via Facebook to transport some cats from the Young-Williams Animal Center in Knoxville to the Union County Humane Society, we volunteered. These two adult cats needed a ride to Maynardville in neighboring Union County so they could then hitch another ride to Winchester, Virginia and join a rescue shelter.

David and I were happy to help, and we had never driven to this part of Tennessee, which is about 30 minutes north of Knoxville. The two cats we picked up were a Persian and Himalayan, and they were fairly quiet during the ride.

When we arrived at the Union County Humane Society, I was quite impressed. The society has been around a while, but the current facility where they house the animals recently celebrated a one year anniversary, and it has some very nice accommodations for kittens, puppies, dogs and cats. I especially love the Cat Cottage out back where all the adult cats hang out together. They have little beds on the walls with pillows in each of them. I wish I had taken photos!

The society's vet told us more than 50 animals were on their way last night to rescue shelters in parts of Virginia and Maryland. I hope they all find homes very soon!

Also, here's a shout out to my niece Mia, who hasn't been feeling so great this week and had to visit to the vet's office because of a possible snake bite, but she is feeling better today. Watch out for those snakes Mia and Mattie! :)

No comments: